WordPress is undoubtedly a popular CMS that has garnered a lot of appreciation and applause from web users. In fact, more than 25% of the websites are powered by WordPress today, which cleary indicates its existing and growing popularity. Thanks to its robust, secure and flexible structure, it allows you to create a variety type of websites including personal blogs, e-commerce websites, business sites and more.
Speaking of security, though WordPress is itself secure enough, its growing popularity often comes in the way of calling it the most secure CMS out there. Well, the case is same with other popular platforms available to build a website. However, no matter how secure the CMS or your website is, it’s always better to safe than sorry.
Therefore, if you own a WordPress website, you probably be looking for a backup plugin to ensure that you have a copy of your website in case something goes wrong.
So, here’s our list of top 5 best WordPress backup plugins you can consider installing:
BackupBuddy is one of the most popular and preferred WordPress backup plugin which enables you to conveniently schedule regular, weekly, or monthly backups. The plugin also lets you store the backup in Stash, FTP, Rackspace Cloud, Amazon S3, Dropbox and even your email.
Unlike other plugins, BackupBuddy is not a subscription based service, which is the biggest advantage of using this plugin. The plugin comes in a variety of packages and allows you to run it on multiple websites depending on the package you choose.
Additional Features of BackupBuddy
• Back up your entire site (database + all files)
• Set up schedules to run backups.
• Store backup files off-site in a safe, secure location.
• Restore (or move) your site quickly & easily.
UpdraftPlus is a great option for those who are a little tight on their budget and looking for a free plugin to help them secure their website’s backup. The plugin is very simple and does not overwhelm you with many unwanted features.
UpdraftPlus also lets you to store your backup in OpenStack, Google Drive, email, FTP, Dropbox, Amazon Web Services, Rackspace and various other storage options.
Additional Features of UpdraftPlus
• Send logs and backups by email
• Multi-site support only as network admin
• Generate a file with installed plugins
• Optimize Database
• Offers database encryption for an added level of security
• Check and repair Database
BackWPup is another free plugin that’s worth taking note of. It is a straightforward plugin that backup your entire WordPress website and storing it to your email, FTP, hard drive, Rackspace, or Dropbox. The plugin also lets you restore from backups, schedule automatic backups and even upgrade to a premium version with additional features and support solutions.
Additional Features of BackWPup
• The Duplicator supports both serialized and base64 serialized string replacement.
• If you need to move WordPress or backup WordPress this plugin can help simplify the process.
• The plugin also serves as a simple backup utility.
Duplicator is a simple and modest WordPress backup plugin that does not throw various features at you. Duplicator is technically a website migration plugin and does require certain technical knowledge and skills to use it appropriately.
It is also the most basic plugin, which unfortunately, does not let you schedule automatic backups in advance. But Duplicator is a double-duty plugin that fulfills you migration as well as backup needs.
Additional Features of Duplicator
• Quick restore (both file and database backups)
• Backup automatically on a repeating schedule
• Debug mode – full logging of the backup
• Download backup archives direct from your WordPress dashboard
BackUpWordPress is yet another free option available that has managed to receive 5 star ratings and has been downloaded more than 200,000 times. The plugin allows you to backup your entire website along with your database and every file on the schedule. However, since the plugin requires a lot of memory to run, it will only work on shared host. The biggest advantage of using this plugin is its ease of use as well as use-friendly interface.
Additional Features of BackUpWordPress
• Super simple to use, no setup required.
• Works in low memory, “shared host” environments.
• Manage multiple schedules.
• Option to have each backup file emailed to you.
• Uses zip and mysqldump for faster backups if they are available.
• Works on Linux & Windows Server.
• Exclude files and folders from your backups.
• Good support should you need help.
• Supports Translations for Basque, French, Dutch, Spanish, German, Chinese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Lithuanian, Italian, Czech.