Designer Resources for your design projects
There are thousands of design resources on the web which can lead to an overwhelming experience when looking for inspiration or ideas, so I created a list of resources that I use on a regular basis. Here is a list of 50 design resources that can be helpful to any designer or marketer.
Sometimes it can be hard to come up with design inspiration. CSS galleries are a great place to get design inspiration and they can also be leveraged as a great source of traffic. If you can get your design on these galleries it can drive thousands of visitors to your website.
- CSS Beauty
- CSS Vault
- CSS Drive
- CSS Thesis
- Style Boost
- CSS Elite
- CSS Import
- Web Creme
- CSS Mania
Designing with web standards is a great way to keep your code clean and search engine friendly. Why design a site with a 1000 lines of code when it can be done in 100 lines of code.
Developing With Web Standards – This document explains how and why using web standards will let you build websites in a way that saves time and money for the developer and provides a better experience for the visitor. Also discussed are other methods, guidelines and best practices that will help produce high-quality websites that are accessible to as many as possible.
Now that you know all about web standards, here are some tools that can help check if your site is compliant. These tools will also help you find errors in your code.
Usability is probably the most important factor in a website design. Making your website usable can help improve the experience for your visitors as well as help improve your conversion rate.
- What is Usability
- Usability First
- Weblog Usability: The Top Ten Design Mistakes
- Web Design & Usability Guidelines
- Web usability – the basics
- The Culture of Usability
- 90% of All Usability Testing is Useless
- Ten deadly sins of web design
- Information architecture resources
- Usability Views
* Blogs are often too internally focused and ignore key usability issues, making it hard for new readers to understand the site and trust the author.*
– A list of ten huge mistakes no web designer or developer should be caught making.
Blogs are a great resource for up-to-date information on design and usability. Here is a list of blogs that you may want to subscribe to or read on a regular basis.
Digital Web Magazine is an online magazine intended for professional web designers, web developers and information architects. The magazine consists primarily of work contributed by web authors, as well as by others who occasionally delve into the web realm. It places emphasis on and provides recognition for contributed work. The Magazine is recognized by nearly all of the major web design agencies in the industry.
- A List Apart
– A List Apart explores the design, development, and meaning of web content, with a special focus on web standards and best practices.
- 456 Berea Street
- Adaptive Path
- Jesse James Garrett
- Jeffrey Veen
- Your Total Site
- IxDG Resource Library
- Apples to Oranges
is a site by Roger Johansson who writes articles on web standards, accessibility, or usability in one way or another.
– A semi-daily expository and exploratory on all things web, design, and typographic. It is also a personal portfolio site with works in any creative discipline the owner feels fit to publicize.
– The blog of the founder of Adaptive Path.
– A repository of information about interaction design.
Demystifying Usability – A blog by Frank Spillers, a usability consultant.
Color is an important factor in design. Color can separate your site from your competition and it can also convey a specific message to your visitors. If you provide a personalized service you may want to choose colors that are soft and personal or if you want a corporate look and feel you may want to pick hard colors. Here are several resources that I use to help me make color decisions.
- Color Schemer
- Color Meaning
- The Meaning of Color in Web Design
- Symbolism of Color
- Color Matters
– Online color scheme generator.
– An article that explains the symbolism and meaning of different color types.
– How colors influence audiences when marketing products through the Internet.
– Explore how color affects emotions, appetite, vision, sexuality, design, and art.
There are many different types of fonts and they can greatly affect how readable your site is, so choose wisely.
- 1001 Free Fonts
- The Anatomy of Web Fonts
– A large selection of true type fonts for Windows and Macintosh.
– Typetester is an online application for comparison of the fonts for the screen. Its’ primary role is to make web designer’s life easier.
I hope this article will enable your web designing project even further , and hope that it has been helpful . Stay tuned , more Dezign Matters are coming up 🙂